So many flour choices for sourdough baking! What flour should I use?
It really depends on what is available to you! I usually use bread flour, whole wheat, and all-purpose flours. Sometimes, I experiment with other flours like rye and spelt, but you must have bread flour and whole wheat flour on hand!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases from some links in this post.
I am a big fan of these flours:
- Central Milling (https://centralmilling.com)
- This flour is great for very bubble crusts! I love their High Mountain and Artisan Bakers Craft Plus
- Recently, I’ve been feeding my sourdough starter with their Organic Hard White Whole Wheat flour
- It is sold online on their website and sometimes at Costco if you’re lucky!
- Here is an example of a whole wheat loaf made with Central Milling flour.
- King Arthur Flour (https://www.kingarthurflour.com)
- Their whole wheat and bread flour are great and available at most grocery stores!
- Good for your everyday flour needs
- Trader Joe’s brand flours
- The Trader Joe’s flours are usually very good quality.
- Easily available if you leave near a Trader Joe’s
- Rice flour for your banneton or bowl
- Rice flour helps prevent your loaves from sticking to your bannetons or bowls
- I usually use Bob’s Red Mill rice flour
High quality flour is important for producing sourdough loaves with crispy crusts and delicious texture. Some sourdough bakers even mill their own flour! I haven’t tried this yet, but maybe I will one day soon.
What are you favorite flour choices for sourdough baking?