This sourdough pizza toast recipe might be simple, but it is delicious! I love to make these for lunch during the workday. These pizza toasts are so simple that you probably don’t even need a recipe. I really like making these because it doesn’t take much time if the sauce is already made. Also, it is a good way to use up leftover pizza ingredients.
For the sauce, you can use a store bought sauce or make your own. I’ve included a versatile recipe that I use frequently for both pizza and pasta sauce. This sauce recipe will make enough for a few pizza toasts and you’ll have some leftover that could be used for pasta. I use these whole peeled canned tomatoes but any brand should work fine.
I usually add sliced onions and frozen artichokes to my pizza toasts, but this is totally up to you. Some other ideas are pepperoni, olives, bell peppers or whatever vegetables you have in your refrigerator.
For other recipes you might be interested in, check out my Sourdough Focaccia with Chives and Green Onions.
(Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases from links in this post)
Sourdough Pizza Toast
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
Pizza Toast Ingredients
- 1 slice sourdough (sliced thickly – about 1/4 inch)
- pizza sauce (storebought, leftover or follow the included recipe)
- pizza toppings of your choice
Pizza Sauce Ingredients (optional) – will make plenty of extra sauce
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes such as San Marzano
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped coarsely
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful basil, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Make the sauce (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized pot or large saucepan with high edges, then add the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the can of tomatoes (without draining them) and stir. Add the salt, pepper to taste (probably about 1/2 tsp) Add red pepper flakes (if using ) and basil (if using). Simmer for 10-30 minutes, allowing some of the liquid to evaporate to thicken the sauce. You can break up the tomatoes with your spoon as they soften.
- Adjust the seasonings if necessary and allow to cool a little. If you prefer a very smooth sauce, you can blend it, otherwise you can use it as is.
Assemble and Bake the Pizza Toast
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Place the slice of sourdough on the baking sheet. Top with a few tablespoons of the sauce, cheese, and your pizza toppings.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!