These sourdough crackers are an easy and tasty way to use your discarded sourdough starter. The recipe can easily be modified to season with various herbs, seeds or other toppings. Additionally, the types of cheeses could be substituted as well! Whenever I bake these sourdough crackers with parmesan and cheddar, I usually top them with black pepper, sea salt and red pepper flakes. We devour these crackers within hours of coming out of the oven!
Seasoning and Cheese Options
These crackers are very versatile so I encourage you to try making them with a variety of seasonings and cheeses!
I used mild cheddar and Parmesan because that is what I had on hand at the time. Some other interesting cheese combinations could be Dubliner or Manchego or even a blue cheese!
These are very good with red pepper flakes and sea salt. Next time, I might try Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Seasoning because it is delicious on everything! Also, a mesquite barbecue seasoning could be interesting as well.
Some flavoring ideas:
- Parmesan + cheddar + Everything but the Bagel Seasoning
- Blue cheese + sea salt + pepper
- Dubliner cheese + red pepper flakes
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases from some links in this post.
Sourdough Crackers with Parmesan and Cheddar
- mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- Rolling Pin
- parchment paper
- 125 g sourdough starter discarded (unfed) starter works well
- 230 g semolina flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Semolina Pasta Flour)
- 42 g cheddar cheese, chopped or grated (I used Tillamook Medium Cheddar)
- 100 g water
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp sea salt, plus more for seasoning the top of the crackers
- 1/4-1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese based on your taste preferences
- olive oil to drizzle on top
- Optional seasonings: black pepper, red pepper flakes, herbs such as rosemary or chives
- Mix all of the ingredients except the olive oil and the extra sea salt for seasoning the tops of the crackers in a bowl. Mix and knead with your hands to combine. The dough will be chunky.
- Cover and let the dough sit at room temperature in a cool place for about 4 hours or in the refrigerator overnight for up to 3 days.
- Once ready to bake, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Take the dough out of the bowl and transfer to a clean surface or parchment paper. Flatten out your dough to about 1/4 inch thick rectangle. Cut with a knife (or cookie cutter) into the desired shape (my crackers were about 1/2 inch squares).
- Transfer the crackers onto parchment paper on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil over the tops and sprinkle with sea salt (and pepper if desired).
- Then, bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the crackers to cool slightly (so you don't burn yourself), then enjoy!
I hope you find these sourdough crackers with parmesan and cheddar as delicious as we do!
For similar recipes that use discarded sourdough starter, try my sourdough breadsticks!
One thought on “Sourdough Crackers with Parmesan and Cheddar”